Sunday 12 January 2014

IDEA CHANGE: BEAUTY

I had planned to have different shots around the house, but when brainstorming the idea it all just didn't seem right. I loved the shot of the egg breaking that I had as it appeared really abstract and different but that was all that worked effectively. I couldn't think of a strong enough idea that worked well to have a project solely using the eggs and so thought about changing the idea as a whole.

I thought about what I had that I could film directly and as a beauty blogger I have a lot of beauty products and thought about making a film about that - what it takes to make a woman beautiful. I envisioned a film with a large number of different shots where the editing was key. Tubes squirting out product, nails being painted lots of different colours, my makeup drawers etc. The shots would be very quick to emphasize how overwhelming the sheer amount of what it took to make a woman beautiful and so I started filming. I began by filming a large number of shots of my nails being painted different colours. I thought these would work well in sequence flicking between the different colours at speed. I then went on to film my drawers: a drawer set of 9 drawers filled with an excessive amount of beauty products. I filmed them being opened, revealing the sheer amount of products inside.

I took these shots and my new idea to my tutorial with Shirley, and discussed it further. When discussing it, Shirley thought that it would work best if simplified down to solely the drawers. The reveal of what was inside worked well and it was unusual for people to see this amount of products in the one place. The drawer was opened, stayed open and was then closed. I like this idea of the opening and then the closing as though it is being put away and hidden. As though it is a secret, this is the revelation, perhaps to men, to the extent that women can go through to make themselves look beautiful.

I had to reshoot the shots as I wasn't happy with the framing in some of the ones I had filmed before. When shooting, I wanted some of the drawers to be a mess to emphasise the frantic nature, making it seem almost stressful.

When thinking about the sound over the top of the film, I had always planned to put voices talking over the top. I wanted to get quotes from films etc of people saying things about beauty. Things like 'she is beautiful'. The talking will add to the frantic nature previously mentioned.

I am in the process of editing currently.

No comments:

Post a Comment